Thursday, August 5, 2010

Robin Hood meets Science Fiction

August 3, 2010
Critiquing: 50 minutes
Editing: 0

August 4, 2010
Critiquing: 36 minutes
Editing: 30 minutes

--

As you can see, on August 4th, I completed both parts of my goal. Hurrah and hurray. (Kind of like alas and alack, but more positive.) Also, worthy of mention, is the fact that I'm still on my blog schedule correctly. Molto bene!

One problem: I’m not sure what exactly to talk about in this post. Because of this, I’m wasting time trying to find out what exactly powers the Doctor’s sonic screwdriver. Sonic...power. I guess. That was my first thought when asked that, but Google searches aren’t revealing anything more...though I found a fun collection of Tenth Doctor shots with his sonic screwdriver.














Rambling...and bringing sci-fi onto a Robin Hood blog! Oh, the horrors! Actually, that could work as a bridge to the idea of sci-fi Robin Hood...because I’ve run into a few. Well, you might say, how do Robin Hood and science fiction go together?

My answer: wonderfully! I’ve read two interpretations of this, and I’ve heard of others. One I found in a book called Sherwood: Tales from the Legend of Robin Hood (or some such title). The book, edited by Jane Yolen, is a collection of short Robin Hood stories. Not my favorite book, but the last story is amazing. Amazing in terms of hilarious. In it, Robin Hood is a strange and unwieldy computer virus that is “distributing the wealth of the world in extraordinary ways” (completely off the top of my head. I hope that quote is correct.). The author’s version of the Sheriff attempts to quell this virus, but this only ends in disaster. “Thy cash! Thy car! Thy credit! Why, a Swiss bank account!” Despite the fact that this Sheriff inserts a disk that says: “Kill! Kill! KILL!” into the computer, all is lost. Literally. Anyway, it’s absolutely brilliant. You should try and find it, especially if you like science fiction. (Come to think of it, it’s not REALLY science fiction...not like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who...but it’s definitely not 12th century England either.)

The other book I’m not quite sure why I read to the end. I guess because it was an interesting story. It is called The Sherwood Game--I don’t endorse it, and probably won’t ever read it again. In it, Robin is part of a virtual-reality game that becomes self-aware. He manages to get into some sort of very lifelike robotic thing that his maker’s boss produces. Then he manages to make friends with his maker’s boss and get away from said maker. His maker isn’t too happy about this, of course, and Robin, of course, doesn’t care. I don’t remember many of the details, but Robin eventually gets ALL of his band members these bodies and gets them out of the game and into real life, where they proceed to do what Robin Hood does best. Eventually, though, some kind of catastrophe brings computer game characters and their maker together against a common foe. Which I do not remember. Anyway. It’s interesting.

Wow, those are long paragraphs. This might become my longest Sherwood post to date! Because I have another thing to mention: mine. Yes, mine. I love Robin Hood, I think science fiction (and the less glamorous “futuristic”) is awesome, so why not combine them? In mine, which came out of my head in a bunch of scattered scenes in December 2008, Robert is involved in what you could very well call a dystopian society. (See, futuristic, not exactly sci-fi.) When he refuses to go along with some things, and asks one too many questions, he becomes a most-wanted of sorts. Unlike the traditional story, it’s not all about getting money back to those who have been stolen from. It’s about bringing down the government who steals from everyone. I have this book completely outlined, and, as I said, I have about a dozen major scenes written for it. That said, I’m not writing it. When I tried, it didn’t come out like I wanted. So, it ferments on the back burner (if I can combine those two metaphors).

Enough sci-fi Robin Hood for you? Fair enough. Since I snuck in this sci-fi post on what should be focused on his-fi, I might as well make a shameless plug before I depart: Doctor Who is made of awesome. The Tenth Doctor is made of epic. Try to find it, please, if you have any sci-fi leanings at all (or even historical fiction--he travels in time as well as space!). British things for the win!

~Nai

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...