Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NaNoWriMo & Etched in Black

I've heard about NaNo (National Novel Writing Month) forever. Being obviously a writer from a very young age, it's been suggested countless times to me. I never liked the sound of it: I wanted to write good books, not bad books quickly.

So, I am first an OYANer. But after finding out through OYAN and my writing mentor that no matter how much planning and care goes into a novel, the first draft is going to be rough no matter what. I still remember the day he told us: "Give yourself permission to write badly."

NaNo does exactly that. It gives thousands of people permission to write badly and do something they've always wanted to do. I've realized just how valuable it is to so many people over the last year or so, and I've become much less snobby over the whole thing. After all, I chose to do the challenge to grind out some of my OYAN-ish novel, then called The Bow, now called Etched in Black. Though all that draft did was inform me that Gervais was awesome and that Yvette, not Rosamond, was the heroine, I'm very glad I did it last year.

This year, I've decided to give it another go, because of what it did last year: by that kind of goal, it made me re-establish my writing habit that had become lost in school. It reminded me of who I was and what I cared about so much. It was a very good thing for me.

Also, I have high hopes to have this novel finished by April or May in time for the online OYAN Summer Workshops--the 12-week editing program (or programme, which I seriously considered writing). I'm guessing that if I hit NaNo's requirement of 50,000 words, I will be about halfway through.

Yes, half. I do not decide to write 100,000 word novels on purpose.

Though I just realized today that I've already written about that on various versions of this novel already.

So I should be set, right?

Ha. Ha. Ha. [/end sarcastic laughter]

Well, I'm in it. Let's write!

~Nairam


2 comments:

Hannah said...

Happy NaNoing! I can't wait to read it ;)

Anywho. No, I dont' know of any online patterns for vambraces...the one I used already belonged to my friend. The design is very simple, though, and you could probably do a few test runs with a heavy fabric like denim until you got the shape/size correct.

*grin* Which of your characters is Quinn the most like? I've been kind of surprised before at how simliar some of ours seem as well.

Nairam said...

Okay.

Much. Not exactly the personality part, but the part he plays. Teague and Robin are kind of similar, and Much and Quinn seem to be their support. Lots of that doesn't really show up in Forest of Lies, but it is there. I'll get to touch upon it more in Stained and Unbroken, if I ever get to write them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...