Monday, January 3, 2011

Excited

I think I got a great vacation just when I needed it this year. I haven't felt as pumped or confident about school and life as I do right now. Probably it's a bit unreasonable, but I'm sure I'll steady out when the college classes hit me again. Maybe I should try not to, though. We're supposed to be "bold and courageous." Most of the time I don't feel bold and courageous. I write about people with determination and courage, and I bet part of me writing about them is wishing I could be more like that, and wishing that my life could mean as much as theirs does. The fact is, though, that it does. Mine may be in the "boring" century of the 21st, but there's still things that need to be done, and God has a plan for my life.

So that's rambling a bit! And now a bit more.

I've written a couple of pages in Gervais's story, and need to get a synopsis pulled together so I can explain what the story's about shortly and effectively. I guess that's something I need to get done pretty soon, because I keep saying that! It's gone all right so far. I'm just praying that this story goes where it's supposed to, or if I'm supposed to write something else, it shows itself with clarity and drive.

In a less writerly update, I found out a couple of days ago that the junior college classes don't start until the 19th. This made me very happy, to say the least. I'm taking Chemistry and Italian II out there, and I need to finish Biology first. It would also be good if I got going a little faster on my British history. I'm going to try to hit the ground running, and then I pretty much need to stay running. My personality, though, is to stop dead when I get overwhelmed. This of course doesn't help. I'm praying that I can push through the overwhelmed moments and keep going in spite of them. Frankly I think that's the only way I'll survive this semester. Next year's going to be a breeze.

Now more writerly, and definitely something I think historical fiction writers can identify with. I have finally gotten my hands on a historically accurate dress pattern. I'm VERY excited, though the direction are a little confusing, what with being French AND English. All the information is there, but it's as little hard to get through. I'm not really a seamstress, and will probably enlist the help of my Granny in June (since that's the only time I'll be able to get away from here). I got the pattern from this place. It's this one, the biggest picture of the four, which is the 1150 noblewoman. Verrrry exciting.

Also, planning for the 2011 OYAN Summer Workshop has already begun with schemes with boarders, mostly of Doctor Who nature. I just hope I have a book. I think I'll be leading a critique group, and it'll look pretty bad if I don't have any new material! Dragging Forest of Lies in again would feel pretty silly.

So, there's some random snippets. I plan on sitting down and making some goals for this year/this semester sometime today, and I might share them tomorrow if that's not too cliche for blogs right now! We'll see.

Today is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!

~Nairam

2 comments:

Annie P. said...

The dress! I love historically accurate costumes. Keep us posted on your progress!

And "schemes," "OYAN Workshop," and "Doctor Who" sounds like an epic combination. ;) I'm hoping I'll be able to make it this year.

Nairam said...

I will! Also, if you do end up coming to the workshops, I'll probably wear it one of the days. Hoping I can have it finished by then...

Oh very. Very much so indeed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...