Monday, January 10, 2011

Operation: You

So, I've mentioned already to have been reading about how to write a good blog on Rachelle Gardner's blog. She actually had a guest blogger in for some of it, though a lot of the advice actually comes from reading her follower's comments on a post where she asked: "what makes you dislike a blog?" and "what makes you like a blog?"

Main negative aspects where:
-Length (uh-oh)
-Music
-Formatting (white text on black, too much "busyness" in sidebars)
-Self-centeredness
-Infrequency in posting
-Whining
-Self-advertising
-Big chunks of unedited writing (oh dear...)
-And, in general, blogs not being helpful.

People seem to like funny, helpful, and frequent bloggers with unique voices (surprise, surprise--that's the kind of blog I like, too!).

This matches up perfectly with the more specific advice about being there to serve you readers--not the other way around. This makes sense.

Of course, this is probably really boring to you, and self-centered, since mainly I'm talking out loud about how I could possibly make this blog better. That's a bit of a paradox, don't you think?

Since I don't consider myself very funny (it's my characters who tend to be that), I'm going to have to focus on being helpful if I want to improve this blog. I think I already have a tendency towards encouragement (I think writers are one of the most encouragement-needy groups on the planet), which I shall try to keep up.

Then, I think I should drag myself a little bit back to what I thought I was going to do when I started this blog. Not just indulging in Robin Hoodness, but mainly pointing to resources I've found helpful considering the genre I'm in (historical fiction as broad, 12-13th century as narrower, and Robin Hood retellings as even more so!). It's not a normal one, but surely there are others out there that can benefit from the useful things I've found!

Also, there is this consistency thing. Consistency, consistency. I can make all sorts of promises now, because my college classes haven't started yet. When they do, however...well, I'm going to aim for at least 3 posts a week. 5 if I'm super-inspired or being lazy with schoolwork. (Gee, me?)

So, I haven't hit 400 yet, so I'd better wrap up if I want to begin practicing in anti-long-winded-ness.

Also, if any of you have suggestions, feel free to pop in! I really am trying to improve my blogging. If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it well, don't you think?

~Nairam

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...