Monday, February 14, 2011

Robin Hood-ian Humor

Well, today in my AP English Language class, we talked about humor. One of the reasons I love Robin Hood? Its humor. Here's some fun witty dialogue for the day!

Also, question for my loyal readers...would you like to see a breakdown of why exactly I am so in love with this ancient legend of the outlaw who was right?

---

"But there will be rare sport on the third day," said Much, "for there is to be archery at a mark, after the sword-play on foot, and the prize for the best archer is a silver bugle and a silver arrow feathered with gold."

"A good prize," said Robin thoughtfully, "and I count that the Sheriff's man Hubert will hope to win it."

"He is afraid of one of the men who comes with Count John," said Much, "a leary fellow with a squint they call Henry--"

"Do they call the fellow Henry, or the squint, Much?" interrupted Little John, who was listening.

"Nay, but a pest on thy jokes," said Much, amid laughter.

~Robin Hood by Vivian

---

"You are a tanner, I take it?" said Robin. "Ah, sad news indeed have I heard concering a new law against all tanners."

"New law? Sad news?" Arthur-a-Bland's face fell and he looked suddenly anxious.

"All tanners who drink too much ale and beer are to be set in the stocks," declared Robin, keeping a straight face with difficulty.

"Drinking ale and beer!" roared Arthur, nearly falling off his horse with laughter. "By the Mass, you'll lose no freedom by that."

"Oh yes you will," said Robin. "You'll lose the freedom of your legs. That is the law -- of Nature!"

~The Adventures of Robin Hood, by Green

---

Prince John: "You think you're overtaxed, eh?"

Robin: "Overtaxed, overworked, and paid off with a knife, a club, or a rope."

Marian: "Why, you speak treason."

Robin: "Fluently."

~The Adventures of Robin Hood by Warner Bros, 1938

---

What are some of your favorite lines?

~Nairam

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think a breakdown of why you love the legend would be awesome. :)

My favorite quotes are....

Much: We have won, and they should be ASHAMED! SHAME ON YOU! Come back here again and my master and I shall see that you leave with more than just your TAILS between your legs!
Head Guard: "My master and I"? There are only two of them!
Much: I shouldn't have said that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Much: I can feel a song coming on.
Robin: No! No song! Absolutely no song!
Much: It'd be a cheery song.
Robin: And it would be a tragedy, too! A tragedy for you to have survived the Turk, and made it to within a few miles of Locksley, only to be killed by your own master!
Much: You know, it is lucky I do not readily take offense! You know, a smaller man would be offended! A smaller man would be wounded!
Robin: And a cleverer man would sing fewer songs!

-BBC Robin Hood (S1E1)

I could go on and on with that series. ;)

And another.....

Little John: You'll sweat the lard out of that fat carcass of yours before this day is over, my pudgy friend.
Friar Tuck: And I hope some Norman sword whittles you down to size.

Will Scarlett: I'm tired.
Robin Hood: What? After a nice refreshing sleep in the green wood?
Will Scarlett: I pulled seven acorns out of my ribs.
Robin Hood: Lovely, fresh air...
Will Scarlett: My teeth ache with chattering.
Robin Hood: Nightingales singing...
Will Scarlett: An owl hooting in my ear.
Robin Hood: Hooting? He was singing you to sleep!

~The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938

Okay, I better stop now, els this comment will be a mile long. :P :)

Nairam said...

Aaaah, good old BBC. I considered hunting up more, but stopped for the same reason you did. It really could become a mile long...XD

Anonymous said...

Hi Nai! This is Darth Vader from OYAN.
My favorite lines are from the 1938 Robin Hood. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in a while (too long!), so I can't quote anything off the top of my head. I look forward to reading your future blog posts!

DV

Nairam said...

Hey Darth!

Oh, I know...1938 has soooo many good lines! I was in stitches all the way through the first viewing...and I still laugh. Even though I've seen it 30 times.

Yeah.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...