Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ummm...it's a Historical/Cultural Study of 11th-13th Century England?

Ish? (Because sticking "ish" on the end of anything makes ambiguity that much better.)

That is what I'm calling it for the moment, at any rate. AND IT'S DONE. I think. Now, I shall interest/bore (hopefully the first) you with the details! I realize as I type this that it isn't REALLY done--I have just selected all of my reading material. The specifics--and that will be where you lovely readers become something of a part of it--I'm still working on.

Here, however, is my backbone...

FIRST...
My Teaching Company Great Courses. (This site is DANGEROUS for the Learning Buff, by the way. There's also a 70% off sale on a lot of things right now...great thing to take advantage of! I did.)

Medieval World” ~ Professor Dorsey Armstrong (DVDs)
--An overview of the Middle Ages, but focused on England and the life of the average person.

The High Middle Ages” ~ Professor Philip Daileader (CDs)
--A more balanced overview of both the politics and the everyday life in Medieval Europe.

SECOND...
My collection of historical books, mostly scavenged from the used section on Amazon, but also from the half-price book store in my area.

The Year 1000: What Life was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium (An Englishman’s World) ~ Robert Lacey & Danny Danziger

England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings 1075-1225 ~ Robert Bartlett

1215: The Year of Magna Carta ~ Danny Danziger & John Gillingham

The Time Traveler’s Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century ~ Ian Mortimer

Life in a Medieval Castle ~ Joseph & Frances Gies

Lost Country Life: How English Country Folk Lived, Worked, Threshed, Thatched, Rolled Fleece, Milled Corn, Brewed Mead... ~ Dorothy Hartley

I'm especially excited about England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings, as is probably evident by the post on it. I discovered it awhile back through inter-library loan, but it was great fun to finally have it--and, I hope, read it in its (or almost its) entirety. Which is 600 pages. I know, we're a weird breed, us historical fiction-ists. Anyway, moving on...

THIRD...
"Application." (Ish again.)
--I'm really hoping to get my beautiful Medieval dress pattern from Patterns of Time done this year, and as I'm studying this time period, I finally have a good excuse. (Who knows how much the fabric is going to cost me, though!!)
--Blogging. I'll probably be putting up a tab soon with this information in it, and I'll likely give small reviews of the books and resources I've chosen to use, as well as any interesting tidbits I discover or re-discover about this period.
--The Anglo-Saxon World by Kevin Crossley-Holland--it's an anthology of Anglo-Saxon ballads/literature. Though my time period is basically after the Norman invasion, I'm really fascinated with Anglo-Saxon culture, too...probably helps that my beloved mentor character is a Saxon...
--Robin Hood, Robin Hood ballads, books on ballads, music, etc...I have a couple of websites that I might use for this kind of study, as well as hunting down more Robin Hood books--I always love a new take!
--I might actually edit Forest of Lies like I've been talking about for 2 years. Heh. See how that works out for me.
--I'm not really a cook, so this should show just how much I'm obsessed with this time period: Gode Cookery has a bunch of Medieval-era recipes translated for modern kitchens, and I might hunt down a dish or two that are country- and period-accurate.
--Maybe I could even get my bow out again. Muwaha.

In other words, it's a good thing colleges like, among strong classes, interesting and unique interests. Because I certainly have those. Not sure exactly what I'm going to call this class on an application...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...