Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week of OYAN: For Love of OYAN







I think users of the One Year Adventure Novel program have a tendency to talk about it with almost a reverence. I know I do. I’m a junkie for the webinars, the shirts, the workshops, the workshop DVDs, and anything else that comes out with that name on it.

I can’t vouch for everyone else, but I can vouch for myself on the reason I’ve become this way: the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum has literally changed my life.

When I asked mom about that “novel writing class” she’d seen in the homeschool newsletter weeks before, I wasn’t expecting everything that would follow. I didn’t know it was a curriculum-in-the-making. I didn’t know my teacher would become a writing mentor to me. I didn’t know that he and his wife would become my dear friends. I didn’t know I would write a book that would catapult me onto a roller coaster of a spiritual journey. I didn’t know that I would attend a workshop to meet friends from faraway places that I had never seen before. I didn’t expect to say yes to running a critique group and giving a speech to the whole workshop. I didn’t expect take a job.

I most certainly didn’t expect to say, yes, I WOULD run an OYAN booth at the homeschool conference near where I’m moving.

I’m the shy girl who was terrified when we drove up to that old strip-mall for the first class, the timid writer who just wanted to finish the novel she started when she was 8. The doubtful student who peppered her teacher with emails just to make sure she was doing it right.

If someone had told me that I would be doing all those things in three and a half years, I don’t think I would’ve believed them.

But I have and I am.

For love of OYAN.

OYAN gave me confidence in writing. Mr.S. taught me how to tell a good story, how to get from page 1 to the elusive words THE END. He taught me how to edit, and how to share my writing with the world. He gave me the tools that would make my Forest of Lies spiritual journey possible.

He told me I could change the world.

That, more than anything, was what I needed. One of God’s greatest gifts to me in the past four years has been One Year Adventure Novel--the curriculum’s tools, the mentor’s guidance, the community’s encouragement.

I can’t promise the kind of change I’ve gone through to everyone who purchases the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum; for one thing, the hand of God was so apparent in all of it that I’m sure I can’t contribute it to OYAN alone (though the godliness of its creator certainly shines through). But you know what? I can almost guarantee you will learn two things:

1)First drafts are always rough and

2) Write them anyway.

I’ve always been a writer, and I always will be.

But I will be forever in debt to the curriculum that took me to the heights of excitement, hardship, and adventure that awaits beyond chapter 1.

I’m an OYANer...
...and this is my story.




Image source.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

Great post, Nai. OYAN has definetly changed my life in a lot of ways :)

Sandy said...

OYAN changed my life. It's what I think of whenever I'm feeling like God doesn't care if we feel blessed or not. Because He brought about so many amazing things and... I can't even describe it. It's like a gigantic chain reaction. Not just writing. Everything. He taught me so much through this.

Kevin said...

i agree, OYAN changed the way i look at things. great post.

Godsgirl said...

Everything you said here, Nai, goes 100% for me. OYAN has changed my life. It has change the way I watch a movie or read a book. It has changed the way I look at words. It has aided my passion for writing until the spark turned into a flame. God has used this curriculum to teach me, to bless me, and to guide me. You and everyone else on the forum are a family to me. The Workshop was one of the most blessed experiences of my entire life. And no matter what happens, I will always love OYAN and everyone that makes it what it is. God be praised for the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum and all it has done for so many people.

Nairam said...

Thanks all. :)

@Sandy: Oh, so true. I've grown so much in so many ways through this curriculum! I can't imagine my life without it.

@Godsgirl: Amen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...