Saturday, October 22, 2011

October Beautiful People: Quintessence!

(Or is it November Beautiful People?)

At any rate, this month's Beautiful People is actually NaNo-themed, but I can still answer most of the questions, so here we go anyway!

1. Sum up your novel in five words, or less.
Dystopia. Empty. Lies. Truth. Hope.



2. Novel title?
Quintessence (though I have become less certain about this as of recently)

3. Sum up your main character(s) in one word.
Hywel: Curious.
Management: False.
Alamea: Needy.

4. Advice for newbies in three words?
Rough draft. Re-write. (This can be either NaNoWriMo themed, or even just new to writing in general!)

5. Tell us about your secondary characters, how do they affect the story?
Alamea--someone for Hywel to look after. Almost to live for.
Sybyl--gives him the shove.
Miliani--comforts him.
Iolana--awakens him.

6. Do you plan on staying up till midnight on the 31st?
Nope. [see 7 and 10]

7. How many years have you done NaNo?
I did it twice: not doing it this year.

8. What came first, characters, or plot idea?
Plot idea. Pretty strange start for me, actually--it came from a dream the day we left for Nebraska to scatter my grandfather's ashes.

9. How much prep do you do before [your first draft]?
Generally, I fill out the biggies of the OYAN worksheets--Someone to Care About, Something to Want, Something to Dread, Something to Suffer, Something to Learn. I also usually do Ally, Villain, and Mentor sheets. Then I do a rough outline with about a paragraph for each chapter, the "change of values" for that chapter, and if it's a disaster or a dilemma. For Quintessence I also filled out several Other Worlds (second OYAN curriculum) sheets on world building.

10. Now be honest, how do you really feel about NaNoWriMo?
Approve of, but don't do. See my post on why I don't do NaNoWriMo.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...