Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Beautiful People: One Year Edition

Beautiful People is turning one! This special edition has two sets of questions and focuses on two characters and their relationship to each other. Probably not surprisingly, I'm going with Robin and Marian, since I've been dealing with that relationship a lot lately...some of them I'll answer, some of them they will. And some of them I'll answer in context of them being in the middle of the book, others at the end. :P (read: some of them they'll like each other, others they won't.)

Part 1: Answer these questions for both characters.

1. Do they believe in anything that most people think is impossible?
Robin: A beautiful God who loves us? I'm not sure if "most" people think it is impossible...
Marian: Well, sometimes I have trouble believing it and yet I know it's true and have seen it played out multiple times.
Robin: True.

2. Are they strong, or the "damsel/knight in distress" sort?
As far as mentally/spiritually, they're both pretty strong. Robin would argue otherwise about himself, but I hope by now you know you don't listen to Robin when he talks about himself. Physically, Marian's about as strong as your typical girl. Robin struggles with good reason. Robin's also the more emotionally battered, and makes poor choices sometimes because of that, but still plugs onward.

3. Do they have a special place? (e.g. a corner in his/her bedroom, under a tree...)
Robin: My bow and something to shoot at.
Marian: SOMETHING...
Robin: Non-human...:P
Marian: Mm-hm.
Robin: Anyway, if that counts. I like the forest quite a lot, too.
Marian: Which is a very good thing, considering question 4.
Robin: Exactly.
Marian: As to THIS question, I actually like the forest a lot, too...

4. What occupation do they have, or plan on having?
Robin: I have an unstable position in the social sphere.
Marian: *snort* He's an outlaw and proclaimed heretic, and I'm estranged for a number of reasons...we're both social crusaders of the common good.
Robin: ...

5. Describe their current place of residence.
Lots of trees. They live in Sherwood Forest.

6. Explain their last crisis. How had they changed when they came out of it?
You could basically call all of Forest of Lies a crisis, and as such it would spoil the book to explain it all. Suffice it to say they both went through a lot, made good and bad decisions, and learned a lot about themselves and God. They both came out of it more scarred, but also stronger and wiser.

7. If they could drive any kind of car they wanted, what would it be?
Robin: I wouldn't drive a car to save my life. Mostly because driving a car would probably not save my life...
Marian: Something fast. :P
Robin: You would.
Marian: You know it.

8. How do they deal with change?
Marian tends to have a "oh what the heck? *dives in*" attitude. Robin's a lot more reserved, to say the least. He doesn't like change, but usually does face it head-on.

9. If they had to amputate one body part, which one would they choose?
Marian: O.o
Robin: A foot? NOT my hands.
Marian: I'd say NOT my feet or legs. So I guess that means a hand...
Robin: I'd go insane if I couldn't do archery.
Marian: Well I'd go insane if I couldn't run.
Robin: There we go then. Robin Hood the footless and Maid Marian the handless.
Marian: What I do, steal something?
Robin:...that's not funny.
Marian: Sorry.

10. What would their favorite be at the local coffee shop?
Robin would probably just take something dark. I imagine Marian would put all kinds of stuff in hers, and possibly experiment every time she went. Considering I don't know much about coffee, I'll just leave it at that.

Part 2: Here are 5 more questions. These ones are focused more on that relationship we mentioned above. The goal is to become more familiar with the way your two characters relate with one another.

1. How did they meet?
The soldiers threw someone forward, to the ground. His hands scrambled on the floor. I couldn’t see his face; dark blood matted his hair. The shreds of his tunic clung to his torn back.
A soldier stepped forward. “My Lord--”
“I am having a meeting with Sir Guy and his daughter. I said there were to be no interruptions.”
He halted and I came up beside him. Adelaide grabbed my elbow. I attempted to jab her in the ribs again, but she dodged.
“But my Lord Sheriff...” the soldier protested.
“I meant it! Do you wish--?”
“My Lord Sheriff,” a new voice said, a teasing accent on the Norman words. The Sheriff’s dark dog growled as the young man on the ground rose. “I believe you know me?”


Marian had just met the man she hoped to marry, and Robin believed he was about to come back under the power of the man who broke him.

Was it the same man? Well...

2. How do these two deal with conflict?
They can actually both be good at escalating conflict, which is why they have so many arguments in Forest of Lies. Robin is more likely to want to avert conflict, but doesn't when something he believes in deeply is attacked--which is basically what Marian attacks, unless she's attacking him personally (no, they aren't quite the normal Robin Hood couple...). He doesn't usually initiate arguments with her, but he stands his ground when she attacks him.

This isn't really to say Marian is petty, because she either believes or thinks she believes what she says and believes Robin deserves what she deals him. As far as character goes, she generally deals with conflict better. Robin doesn't deal with it as well emotionally. If Robin said the things to her that she said to him, she'd just go: "jerk" and brush it off. Robin can't forget.

Then of course, there's this other, weird side of him that makes him stand in the middle of the road and tell-off powerful church men...

3. Do they have a special song, phrase, item, or place?
Robin & Marian: *look at each other*
Robin: We ought to. We'll get back to you on that...
Marian: There is always Sherwood.
Robin: That's basically what we answer to everything, isn't it?
Marian: Aye...

4. What kind of things do they like to do together?
Argue.
Okay, once they like each other they do like to do archery together, visit and help peasants, and of course [spoiler]. They don't really need to be doing anything particular. They're both very intelligent and like talking. They continue to argue even after they decide the like each other, though in a playful vein (most of the time). Also, as established, walking in the forest together.

5. Describe their relationship as a whole in 3 words, or less.
In Forest of Lies: Tension. Attraction. Misunderstanding.



5 comments:

Hannah Mills said...

I ha a blast reading this, Nai. Robin and Marian are so awesome ^_^

Cait said...

Stopping over from the Beautiful People link-up!

Wow...this is so funny! It sounds like a hilarious book. I thought your excerpt was well written...and very intriguing!!!

~cait~ from notebooksisters.blogspot.com

Nairam said...

Well, I'm not sure "hilarious" is a word my readers would use to describe my book...though I would agree that my characters _can_ be. When they're not arguing and stuff (like chapter 8 this morning).

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Nairam

Cait said...

I should rephrase that: I think you're characters sound like they have amazing personalities (sometimes hilarious?!) I'm enjoying looking through your blog. :)

Nairam said...

"Sometimes hilarious" does apply. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...